Good Practices for Diabetes Wellness
Diabetes is a complex disease with complex repercussions. 2/3 Diabetes patients die from Heart Attacks - because Heart Disease is a side effect of diabetes! High Blood pressure is common in those dealing with Diabetes, and the kidneys (which are already stressed from trying so hard to clean extra glucose from the bloodstream) are the first organs affected by high blood pressure. Lipitor and other Statin style drugs work great at reducing high blood pressure, but the side effects include HEART DISEASE, exactly what it's trying to treat.
All of the previously mentioned can be avoided with a little preventative maintenance. Try to do as many of the following as possible, you'll feel better, lose weight, live longer, and your body and loved ones will thank you for it.
1. Educate yourself! It takes so much less effort to prevent than to treat. Don't be in the dark about what's happening in your body.
2. Maintain 80 - 100mg/dl and blood pressure of less than 120/80 to prevent problems with the kidneys, eyes, nerves and heart.
3. Get regular tests taken to monitor kidney, eye and heart health.
4. Set fitness and nutrition goals for yourself. Track your progress.
5. Go for regular Reflexology Treatments. Reflexology has been proven to immediately lower high blood sugar levels. Sessions also calm the kidneys, reduce inflammation and lower blood pressure.
6. Eat the Rainbow! Lots of fresh brightly colored produce, combined with healthy oil sources such as avocado, salmon and sardines will give you the vitamines, minerals and Omega 3's necessary to maintain optimal glucose levels, and protect eyes, kidneys and your heart. Omega 3's keep your cells supple, and have wonderful anti inflammatory properties.
7. Juice! Make fresh juice of carrots, spinach, parsley and more. The beta carotines, antioxidants and vitamins available in fresh squeezed juice protect your kidneys and eyes.
8. Talk to your doctor or Naturopath about supplementation.
9. Clean and detoxify your system regularly. A clean body is an inflammation free body. Dr. Miller's Holy Tea and Ionic Detox sessions work great.
10. Find a doctor who supports your holistic health goals, and choses to use as little medication as possible in managing Diabetes.
11. EXERCISE!!! Despite not having the energy BECAUSE of diabetes, you have to power through to take back control of your body. Exercise works great at lowering blood sugar and body weight, so implement a fitness plan into your routine. Fat cells produce hormones such as leptin which tell your hypothalamus that your body is hungry. Excess fat cells also release chemicals that block insulin receptors which triggers the pancreas to release 2-3 times as much insulin as necessary. This leads to the break down of healthy tissues and internal inflammation (tingling and numbness much?)
Exercise also removes toxins and is great stress management.
12. Negative emotional issues create hormonal imbalances. Deal with them! Deep breathing, meditation, yoga and journaling are a few ways to help deal with negative emotions.
13. Hydrate! Drink plenty of pure, filtered water throughout the day to help keep your kidneys flushed and toxin free.