Coconut oil has been getting a lot of press attention lately, and rightly so. The health benefits are far reaching and the uses are pretty much endless...
11 (of my favourite) Reasons to Keep some Coconut Oil on hand in your home....
1. Face Cleanser - you can actually use coconut oil as a 'cold cream' as it were to wash your face.
2. Makeup remover - all natural, doesnt burn your eyes, and works like a charm.
3. Skin Cream - after a shower it works better than any lotion available to sooth dry skin. You can even use it on your face. It absorbs quickly and isnt greasy, plus prevents wrinkles and sagging. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
4. Personal Lubricant - no synthetic chemicals!
5. Hair Care - scalp massage with coconut oil helps treat and prevent dandruff, lice and lice eggs. It's also a terrific conditioner, adding sheen and essential proteins for nourishing dry and damaged hair.
6. Massage Oil - the consistency of coconut oil makes it a perfect massage oil. Plus, close your eyes and you're transported to a massage hut on the beach somewhere tropical!
7. Shaving cream - no aerosol cans, no dry legs, no nicks. Works fabulously.
8. Coconut oil has been proven beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. Add a tablespoon to your smoothie in the mornings as a fast easy way to get your lauric acid daily.
9.It also helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems, helping to control both hypo and hyper- thyroidism without the use of medication. Coconut oil also increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, which helps our bodies to burn more energy.
10. It's also suprisingly effective as a treatment for bruises. It speeds up thebodies healing process by repairing damaged tissues.
11.Coconut oil is renowned for it's antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. According to the Coconut Reaserch Centre, it kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, SARS, etc. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, etc. Coconut oil is also effective on fungi and yeast that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, hrush, diaper rash etc.
There are so many more it's suprising - but these are a few of the most shocking and easy ways and reasons to incorporate coconut oil into your beauty routine and diet.
Here in Grande Prairie, the best organic coconut oil is available at the Farmer's Market, in reusable mason jars.